Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The City Museum of Total Awesomeness

If I haven't already told you, I loved loved loved this museum! (and no - I am not in a marketing deal with the place or anything) It was just the most awesome place I've been to date, like ever. We got there about 10 minutes before it opened and parked in the very first spot near the door. We walked in and they let us right in the museum before they were even open! I would say we had about 45 minutes to an hour before we even saw anyone else in there. We went right up the grand stairs to 'no-skate park'. This is a huge room filled with skateboard ramps that you play on and slide on. They have ropes to swing on and the world's biggest pencil. It was super fun and once Layla warmed up - she loved it. We laughed, we squealed, we had a blast. The whole museum is itself a work of art. Every part was constructed to be unique and architectural . We walked around to get the lay of the land and see what we wanted to do next.
Oh yeah - and the whole museum is a giant maze of secret passageways and gerbil tunnels built to let your kids explore and have the most amazing fantasy experience ever. Seriously - this place is a kids dream! I do warn that if you are much larger than a 12 year old, you might get stuck. Since that doesn't apply to me - I LOVED IT!



Fish - so cool.

Turtles and swordfish you can't see, but they were there.
We crawled and explored and slid down some great slides. We got lost, we played pretend, we imagined we were being chased and we loved every minute.

Matt trooped through those tunnels like a kid himself - albeit one with bad knees. No complaints though - it was too much fun to complain.
We spent 45 minutes in "Art City" painting, doing clay crafts, paper crafts, making wands and getting our faces painted while Matt had a conference call. It was after 10 and we still had the place to ourselves!





Then the girls rode a train.
And then we went back to no-skate city for more playtime.

and more slliding.
and more exploring.
Layla did this "Slide" about 100 times. She loved it. It looks like she is falling, but it is a skateboard thing so very steep, but rounded on the bottom. You know what I'm talking about - it was way cool in the early 90's? Yep - fun fun fun (and I did it 20 times too just to be sure).
And then we saw a magician perform in the circus.
It was awesome. Totally awesome day at the City Museum. The girls loved it and we had the best time with them. We will be going back soon and of course with Adam when he is old enough to hang.
This is the kind of place I personally dreamed of when I was a kid. I loved getting lost and playing pretend. I would have been in heaven here. I'm in my 30's and I had all the excitement of being 10 again. It was just that fun.
Did I mention I really loved this place?













No comments: